OPINION: This article may contain commentary which reflects the author’s opinion.
Former top-rated Fox News host Tucker Carlson once again stunned his fans — and likely put more fear into his employer — after he posted another video to Twitter this week announcing a new “show” on the platform.
Earlier this month, Carlson took to Twitter in his first public statement after being taken off the air to drop truth bombs about corruption within the cable news industry in general, as well as covert and overt acts of self-imposed censorship and disinformation.
That video, as of this writing, has been viewed an astounding 94-plus million times by more than 24 million people.
A second video posted to the platform this week has already garnered an earth-shaking 120 million times.
We’re back. pic.twitter.com/sG5t9gr60O
— Tucker Carlson (@TuckerCarlson) May 9, 2023
That has to be shocking to Fox News executives who, according to previous reports, are looking to keep Carlson under his current contract, which does not expire until January 2025, to avoid a permanent and massive loss of viewers.
Carlson was fired from Fox just a few hours before long-time host Don Lemon was let go by CNN after a tumultuous tenure there. Both have retained high-power industry legal representation from Bryan Freedman, which may be an indication of action against both networks.
The Fox News host was let taken off the air in the immediate aftermath of the network’s massive $787.5 million defamation settlement with Dominion Voting Systems, and some have speculated that was the final straw, though others have said they believe it was because Carlson’s coverage of certain topics like the Jan. 6 Capitol riot made execs uncomfortable. Carlson himself said he believes it’s because the Murdoch clan, who own the network, are planning to sell it.
In his first video to his supporters last week, he encouraged them to “keep fighting” and added that they would hear from him soon. Carlson said he realized after stepping “outside the noise for a few days” how “unbelievably stupid most of the debates you see on television are,” arguing that they were “completely irrelevant” and “mean nothing.”
“In five years, we won’t even remember that we had them,” he said. “Trust me as someone who has participated.”
Explain America’s Carmine Sabia filed a report regarding the video shortly after Carlson dropped it:
In his second video, Carlson announced he was moving to Twitter to post a show there in the coming weeks.
“There aren’t many platforms left that allow free speech. The last big one remaining in the world is Twitter,” Carlson said in his short monologue – in which he took a shot at Fox, saying, “If you bump up against the limits [in the news business] you will be fired for it.”
“The rule of what you can’t say defines everything,” he said, adding, “You can’t have a free society if people aren’t allowed to say what they think is true… There aren’t many platforms left that allow free speech. The last big one… is Twitter, where we are now.”
“Twitter has long served as the place where our national conversation incubates and develops,” he continued, noting further that other networks are “thinly disguised propaganda outlets.”
“You see it on cable news, you talk about it on Twitter,” said Carlson. “The result may feel like a debate, but actually, the gatekeepers are still in charge. We think that’s a bad system. We know exactly how it works and we’re sick of it.”
Meanwhile, Twitter boss and entrepreneur Elon Musk responded in the wake of a video announcement from Carlson.
“I also want to be clear that we have not signed a deal of any kind whatsoever,” Musk said. “Tucker is subject to the same rules & rewards of all content creators. Rewards mean subscriptions and advertising revenue share (coming soon), which is a function of how many people subscribe and the advertising views associated with the content.”