OPINION: This article may contain commentary which reflects the author’s opinion.
Florida Republican Rep. Matt Gaetz revealed on Monday that he was assaulted over the weekend.
In a press release and video posted to Twitter, Gaetz said police arrested a woman after she assaulted him while he was attending a private event with his wife in Florida.
“On Saturday evening, April 29th, a 41-year-old woman named Selena J. Chambers assaulted U.S. Congressman Matt Gaetz (FL-01) while he was attending a private event with his wife in Sandestin, Florida. The woman was arrested by Walton County officers and charged with one count of battery on an elected official and one count of battery, to touch or strike. Chambers, a registered Democrat and self-described member of the “Resistance,” is a resident of Tallahassee, Florida,” Gaetz said in a press release.
“I will never allow the safety of Northwest Floridians to be comprised. I will be pressing charges against this individual in order to uphold the civility our community deserves. Thank you to the Walton County Sheriff’s office for taking swift action,” Gaetz said.
BREAKING: Tallahassee Woman Arrested and Charged with Assaulting Congressman Matt Gaetz on Saturday Evening, Gaetz Issues Statement in Response
“I will never allow the safety of Northwest Floridians to be compromised. I will be pressing charges against this individual in order… pic.twitter.com/lXccJypznU
— Rep. Matt Gaetz (@RepMattGaetz) May 2, 2023
Gaetz made headlines last week when he spoke out about former Fox News host Tucker Carlson being fired from the network.
Gaetz took to Twitter to offer a teaser about what he thinks Carlson will be doing next.
“OMG wait till everyone sees what @TuckerCarlson has planned…,” he said.
OMG wait till everyone sees what @TuckerCarlson has planned…
— Matt Gaetz (@mattgaetz) April 28, 2023
Megyn Kelly ‘broke’ some news regarding Carlson’s departure, saying that the top-rated former host can’t really go anywhere else at the moment.
Kelly, a former Fox News star herself, says that Carlson remains under contract with Fox.
“I wanna, I think, break some news for you. Tucker Carlson hasn’t actually been fired,” she said during her Thursday podcast on SiriusXM. “He’s still an employee of Fox News Channel.”
Kelly went on to explain that Carlson was contacted by CEO Suzanne Scott and told that he would not be allowed to do any more shows and that he was denied access to the company email. She also said that now, the two would have to “negotiate an exit” from the network.
She went on to claim that the call from Scott caught “Tucker completely off guard” but that he’s “not fired.”
“That’s my information, that he still needs to negotiate the exit and that right now he’s not free to launch a podcast or a digital show or negotiate with other employers at all because he’s still under contract,” Kelly continued.
She also said Carlson repeatedly attempted to find out why he was being taken off the air and was rebuffed by Scott. The firing came as Carlson had been negotiating a new contract that would have reportedly kept him at the network through 2029, according to an Independent report.
“To me, that is so disheartening,” Kelly went on, explaining that Carlson managed to succeed and help then network succeed through one of its most turbulent periods — the dismissal of long-time CEO Roger Ailes and the loss of two of the network’s top stars at the time, Bill O’Reilly and herself.
“So, why now? What was it that led them to treat their No. 1 star with such disdain?” Kelly mused.
Former Top Fox News host and insider Megyn Kelly reveals Tucker not actually FIRED from Fox yet— This is what’s REALLY happening…
— Benny Johnson (@bennyjohnson) April 27, 2023
Carlson himself has surmised that he was let go because the Murdoch family is preparing to sell the network. Others have different thoughts.
During an interview with Chris Cuomo of News Nation this week, O’Reilly argued that he believes Carlson was fired because the network is facing a slew of lawsuits related to the 2020 election.
Fox News just settled a lawsuit with Dominion and agreed to pay out a whopping $787 million. The network also has an ongoing lawsuit filed by former Fox News booker Abby Grossberg.
“Because the pending litigation was harpooned this morning. Carlson didn’t know. It just happened. And that’s the nature of television news, the most wicked industry in the United States of America,” O’Reilly said.